Top pick is for users to choose and rank their top entry preferences. Out of a field of entries, judges pick their favourites and number them in order of preference. As the quantity of ranked picks allowed per judge is usually quite low, this judging mode really requires a large field of judges, or a small number of entries, for viable results. Otherwise, the volume of intersecting picks on entries may be too low for conclusive results.
To determine the result, we use the single transferable vote method of counting. The single transferable vote (STV) is a voting system designed to achieve proportional representation through ranked voting for multi-winner outcomes. The system is used for elections across much of the English-speaking world. For more details, see how Top pick (Single Transferable Voting) works.
To set up top pick requires three things to be configured:
- A judging round to control access period
- A top pick score set to record picks
- Panel(s) to assign who can pick which entries
Set up a judging round
- Go to Settings > Judging > Rounds
- Create a new round, setting the type to Judging
- Set start and end dates for top pick period
For more detailed instructions, see Round configuration.
Create a top pick score set
- Go to Judging > Score sets
- Create a new score set, setting the judging mode to Top pick
- Top pick configuration options include:
- Order (not currently used)
- Top pick mode
Winner calculations can either be by category, or across all categories linked to the score set.
- Quantity of winners
The STV calculation relies on a target quantity of winners out of the total pool of entries.
- Quantity of preferences to allocate
The number of picks that each user can make across the pool of entries. E.g. If the quantity of preferences is set to 5, each user can make 5 picks from 1 to 5 (first choice through the fifth choice).
- Once you have all options configured, click Save.
Under the Display tab, you have many other options such as:
- Category quick filter: to enable judges to filter by a category quickly
- Order entries: choose the order in which you want to display entries for judges
- List length default: choose the number of entries your judges see in their judging list view. This setting makes it easier for judges who have a lot of entries view everything at once. Options include 10, 25, 50, and 100 entries per page.
- Commenting options: choose if judges can leave a comment on the overall entry or individual scores and if the comments are mandatory. You can also select if judges should be able to see each other's comments
- Attachment options: choose if attachments should be displayed and/or available for download
- Share scores: Control whether you display scores from another score set to judges on this score set. See more about displaying score matrixes to judges.
- Slideshow and Display: choose if you want to create a slideshow for all media in the entry and choose to show/hide entry and entrant name. You can also choose to include scoring boxes on the judge PDF.
Create judging panels
- Go to Judging > Panels
- Create a New panel
- Choose Top pick as the judging mode, and select the score set created earlier
- In the Entries section, check the categories/chapters/tags for entries that can be picked.
- In the Who section select who will be allowed to pick entries.
- In the When section, check the round configured earlier, for when picking entries will be permitted.
- Click Save.
Once all the above is done, refresh the page and if you’re on a top pick panel and the top pick judging round is currently open, you will see an Entries > Pick entries link in the navigation.
This view now includes a progress bar which will show judges their progress at a glance. There's also a toggle that toggles between all entries and a judge's own picks. This is particularly useful when judges have hundreds of entries in their view. They can use the toggle to restrict the view to just the entries they've selected.
Need more help? Get in touch!
We're here to help if you need it. Simply get in touch with our Client Success team through one of the methods available at the base of the page.