The Qualifying judging mode requires a pass or fail decision. This mode is typically used as the first stage in a judging process to eliminate entries that do not meet the category/program's base requirements. A group of administrators may do qualifying to ensure a preliminary degree of quality and integrity amongst entries that pass through to a VIP panel of judges.
To set up qualifying requires three things to be configured:
- A qualifying score set to record decisions
- A judging round to control access period
- Panel(s) to assign who can qualify which entries
To configure a qualifying judging round, you can follow the steps below or simply utilise the judging fast start.
Create a qualifying score set
- Go to Settings > Judging > Score sets
- Click New score set
- Select the Qualifying judging mode radio button
- Qualifying configuration options include:
- Quantity of responses required for consensus
For a consensus to be reached, this number of responses must be supplied. For example, it doesn't matter if there are ten judges or one hundred judges, or if they all say Pass or all say Fail or a mix of both. The only requirement is that ten responses have been received.
- % of pass responses required to qualify
Once a minimum quantity of responses is received, this percentage controls whether how many judges must to agree on a pass to qualify, or just some. For example, if ten judges respond, and the percentage required to qualify is 60%, six of those judges must give a Pass. If 27 judges respond, 16 of them must give a Pass. If one hundred judges respond, 60 must give a Pass. The algorithm will always round up.
- Allow unsure decisions
If a judge selects this option, it does not count towards the decision.
Under the 'Display' tab, you have many other options, such as:
- Category quick filter: to enable judges to filter by a category quickly
- Order entries: choose the order in which you want to display entries for judges
- List length default: choose the number of entries your judges see in their judging list view. This setting makes it easier for judges who have a lot of entries view everything at once. Options include 10, 25, 50, and 100 entries per page.
- Commenting options: choose if judges can leave a comment on the overall entry or individual scores and if the comments are mandatory. You can also select if judges should be able to see each other's comments.
- Attachment options: choose if attachments should be displayed and/or available for download
- Share scores: Control whether you display scores from another score set to judges on this score set. See more about displaying score matrixes to judges.
- Slideshow: choose to create a slideshow for all media in the entry and choose to show/hide entry and entrant name. Set up a judging round
Create a judging round
- Go to Settings > Judging > Rounds
- Click Add round
- Select the Judging round radio button under Round type
- Set Starts and Ends dates for the qualifying period.
For more detailed instructions, see Round configuration.
Create judging panels
- Go to Settings > Judging > Panels
- Create a New panel
- Choose Qualifying as the judging mode, and select the Score set created earlier from the drop-down
- In the Entries section, check the categories/chapters/tags for entries that can be qualified
- In the Who section select who will be allowed to qualify entries
- In the When section, check the round configured earlier, for when qualifying will be permitted
- Click Save
Once all the above is done, refresh the page. If you’re on a qualifying panel and the qualifying judging round is currently open, you will see a Entries > Qualify entries link in the navigation.
Need more help? Get in touch!
Simply send us a message via this form and we will get back to you quickly!
Our globally distributed client success team are here to help 24 hours a day, Monday to Friday (business hours).