Creating a category
- Go to Settings > Categories
- When you click New category, by default it sets the season according to the currently selected Season in the category list view
- Setting a parent category is optional. Configure parent category (Video)
- Category name is the label displayed across the system in relation to the category
- Description content is displayed in the first entry tab, updating as the entrant swaps category selection
- The field supports markdown formatting
- The intention of the description is that it provides an overview of the category and entry criteria in enough detail that the entrant can easily evaluate that it is the right category for them to enter
- Short code is optional but is recommended - it's helpful as a reference handle for entries
- Use the shortest code you can to uniquely identify each category
- Each entry is given a numeric ID unique to the account and has the short code appended (e.g. 123-AB) so that when tracking, arranging and managing entries, you have an easy handle on the entry's category
- Setting the category as active means that category can be entered during an active entry round
- If chapters are being used, in the right column you can set the chapters the category is available in
That is all for the main configuration fields for a category. When saving the category it is immediately updated and available on the system.
- When configuring a category, the Images tab allows you to upload category sponsor logos
- The logos appear in a vertical column to the far right when creating/managing an entry
- Strictly speaking, category images can be anything, they don't have to be sponsor logos
- A heading (such as "Category sponsors") can also be defined to display at the top of the column of images
- Setting a maximum image width constrains the width images are displayed at
- If images are larger than the maximum width, they are automatically downsized
- If images are smaller than the maximum, they remain at their original size
Divisions are entirely optional, but are used to break a category down into smaller groups of entries for assignment to judges, via Panels.
To configure divisions, simply follow the steps below:
1. Navigate to Settings > Categories
2. Select the Category that you would like to add divisions to
3. Open the Divisions tab and set your number of desired divisions
4. Click Save
Your program's entries are automatically and randomly assigned into the divisions that you've created.
- If you change the number of divisions at a later stage, reassignment may be necessary
- Increasing the number of divisions does not require reassignment, additional divisions are empty and new entries go there
- Decreasing the number of divisions necessitates reassignment
- If judging entries has already started, reassignment will result in stray scores as some entries are inevitably assigned to a different division and different judges. It will be necessary to force scores to recalculate
- Reassignment can be forced at any stage by checking Reassign entries to divisions on save, and saving the category
You can flag a category as inactive by selecting it at Settings > Categories and then deselecting the option next to Category is active. Then click Save. This will let you close submissions for one or more categories while the round is still open.
Need more help? Get in touch!
We're here to help if you need it. Simply get in touch with our Client Success team through one of the methods available at the bottom of the page.