Award Force has a plagiarism detection integration with Copyleaks which will review content submitted by entrants to ensure originality.
Copyleaks pricing is based on the volume of scanning done. They sell monthly subscriptions for scanning "credits", or credits can be purchased in a prepaid volume. You can get a Copyleaks free trial account with 25 credits per month if you would like to test it out.
- Create an account via https://copyleaks.com/
- Create an Access key in Copyleaks via this page https://api.copyleaks.com/academicapi by checking the box next to Key 1
Setting up for plagiarism detection
Once you've got a Copyleaks account you're ready to set things up in Award Force.
- Go to Settings > Developers > Integrations
- Click New integration
- Name the integration and select Copyleaks from the App drop-down
- Type in the email address of your Copyleaks account and the Access key you generated in your Copyleaks account
- Click Save
What gets scanned?
Text area (multi-line) and file upload (single) field types are scanned for plagiarism.
All attachments of the following types are scanned for plagiarism in addition to files uploaded via a file upload (single) field that is marked to be scanned for plagiarism:
pdf, docx, doc, txt, html, rtf, xml, pptx, ppt, odt, chm, epub, odp, ppsx, pages, xlsx, xls, csv and LaTeX
For further detail, refer to https://api.copyleaks.com/documentation/specifications
The maximum file size Copyleaks will scan is 25MB. It is therefore recommended to ensure a 25MB cap on attachments and file uploads that need to be scanned for plagiarism.
There are two ways to request a scan: for an individual entry; or in bulk for the whole season of entries.
1. From the Entries > Manage entries list view, scan an entry on demand at any time:
2. From the entry overview page, click the Scan now link.
Scanning all entries in a season in one bulk batch can be initiated as follows:
- Go to Settings > Developers > Integrations and click your Copyleaks configuration
- Press Initiate scan...
- This will let you know how many files, fields and entries will be scanned, and what your current Copyleaks credit balance is.
- Confirm to start scanning with the Scan button
Entries to be scanned are sent to a queue, and completing all scans can take some time depending on volume, and how busy the Copyleaks service might be.
If you run out of credits, or if there is some problem with the scan, the batch scan will stop. After purchasing more credits, or addressing any problem, you can reinitiate the scan. Only entries that have not already been scanned will be queued again for scanning.
If a scanned entry is edited, the scan status will be marked as "Out-of-date". Another bulk scan, or an individual scan will rescan the whole entry.
The scan results are shown in the entry preview. Each field, file and attachment that has been scanned has a % suspect score.
Plagiarism visibility for judges
The % suspect scores can optionally be made visible to judges via the score set:
- Go to Settings > Judging > Score sets
- Click the score set
- Go to the Display tab
- Further down the left column, in the Display panel, you will see a checkbox option % suspected plagiarism
Need more help? Get in touch!
Simply send us a message via this form and we will get back to you quickly!
Our globally distributed client success team are here to help 24 hours a day, Monday to Friday (business hours).