Sometimes a judge may wish to be excused from judging a particular entry if, for example, there's a conflict of interest, they are associated with the entrant in some capacity or they are also an entrant and you don't want them judging their own entries.
There are two options for a judge to not score an entry: they can abstain or be recused. Abstaining requires action from the judge while recusal requires action from the program manager.
A judge can choose to remove themselves from judging a particular entry provided this option is enabled in the score set.
- Go to Settings > Score sets
- From the Display tab, select the option next to Judges may abstain
When this is enabled, judges will see an option to Abstain from judging with each entry:
Ticking the box will disable inputting scores in the scoring criteria. If a judge abstains from scoring, they are not taken into account when calculating the average score (since they have not actually scored).
A program manager may want to remove a judge from judging a particular entry or a series of entries. This can be done, by the Program manager, from each individual entry or via the Assignments view. When a judge is recused from one or more entries, they are completely unaware and are not notified in any way.
Recusal via an entry: Entries > Manage entries
- Go to Entries > Manage entires
- Click on an entry name to view its info page
- From the score set matrix, click on the overflow menu to the right of the judge you want to recuse and then click the Recuse button
Recusal via Assignments: Judging > Assignments
- Go to Judging > Assignments
- Search for the Judge you wish to recuse (i.e. Use the Advanced search feature)
Tip: Use your Advanced search options on this page to filter by Category/Judge/Tag to more easily recuse judges in bulk.
- Select the checkbox of one or many of the assigned entries where you want to recuse the judge
- Click the Recuse button from the top of the page to recuse in bulk
These actions will only affect the entries from which the judge has been recused. They can continue judging other entries that have been assigned to them.
Need more help? Get in touch!
We're here to help if you need it. Simply get in touch with our Client Success team through one of the methods available at the base of the page.